George Dewar was born in Dunbarton, Scotland on 20th July, 1867. A centre-half, he played local football before signing for Dunbarton in the Scottish League in September, 1887.
On 24th March 1888 he won his first international cap playing for Scotland against Ireland. Scotland won 10-2 and Dewar scored one of the goals. The following year he played in Scotland's 3-2 victory over England.
One of the people watching this game in April 1889 was Tom Mitchell, the secretary of Blackburn Rovers. He was looking to strengthen his side by buying the best players from Scotland. Mitchell persuaded Dewar to join Blackburn. In doing so, he brought an end to his international career as at this time Scotland did not select men playing in England.
At the beginning of the 1889-90 season Tom Mitchell, the club secretary, recruited Tom Brandon, Johnny Forbes and Harry Campbell from Scotland. These players joined local men, James Forrest, Herbie Arthur, John Barton, Billy Townley, Nathan Walton, Joseph Lofthouse, Jack Southworth, John Horne and James Southworth.
Tom Mitchell was particularly concerned with the position of goalkeeper. Herbie Arthur, at 36, was coming to the end of his playing days. Mitchell initially signed Ted Doig from Arbroath. However, he found it difficult to settle and after playing only one game he returned to Scotland. Eventually, John Horne took over as Blackburn's goalkeeper. The defence did not perform well that season letting in 45 goals in 22 games.
Blackburn Rovers had little difficulty scoring goals. The team beat Notts County (9-1), Stoke (8-0), Aston Villa (7-0), Bolton Wanderers (7-1) and Burnley (7-1). Top scorers that season were Jack Southworth (22), Harry Campbell (15), Nathan Walton (14) and Joseph Lofthouse (11).
In the 1889-90 season Blackburn Rovers finished in 3rd place, six points behind Preston North End. They did even better in the FA Cup. On the way to the final they beat Sunderland (4-2), Grimsby Town (3-0), Bootle (7-0) and Wolverhampton Wanderers (1-0).
Blackburn were odds-on favourites to win the cup against Sheffield Wednesday, who played in the Football Alliance league. Blackburn selected the following players: (G) John Horne, (2) Johnny Forbes, (3) James Southworth, (4) John Barton, (5) George Dewar, (6) James Forrest, (7) Joseph Lofthouse, (8) Harry Campbell, (9) Jack Southworth, (10) Nathan Walton and (11) Billy Townley.
Blackburn took the lead in the 6th minute when a shot from Townley was deflected past the Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper. Campbell hit the post before Walton converted a pass from Townley. Blackburn scored a third before half-time when Southworth scored from another of Townley's dangerous crosses from the wing.
Townley scored his second, and Blackburn's fourth goal in the 50th minute. Bennett got one back for the Sheffield side when Bennett headed past the advancing Horne. Townley completed his hat-trick when he converted a pass from Lofthouse. Ten minutes before the end of the game, Lofthouse completed the scoring and Blackburn had won the cup 6-1. As Philip Gibbons pointed out in his book Association Football in Victorian England: "The Blackburn side had given one of the finest exhibitions of attacking football in an FA Cup Final, with England internationals, Walton, Townley, Lofthouse and John Southworth at the peak of their form."
In an effort to improve the quality of Blackburn's defence, Tom Mitchell signed a new goalkeeper, John Gow from Scottish club Renton. However, he was eventually lost his place to local lad, Rowland Pennington.
Although the defence did slightly improve that year, Blackburn Rovers was not as successful in front of goal and the club finished in 6th place in the league. However, Blackburn had another good run in the FA Cup and beat Middlesborough Ironopolis (3-0), Chester (7-0), Wolverhampton Wanderers (2-0), West Bromwich Albion (3-2) to reach their second successive final.
Notts County were their opponents. Blackburn selected the following players: (G) Rowland Pennington, (2) Tom Brandon, (3) Johnny Forbes, (4) John Barton, (5) George Dewar, (6) James Forrest, (7) Joseph Lofthouse, (8) Nathan Walton, (9) Jack Southworth, (10) Conrad Hall and (11) Billy Townley.
Blackburn Rovers put Notts County under pressure from the beginning and in the 8th minute, Dewar scored from a Townley corner. Before the end of the first-half, Southworth and Townley added further goals. Jimmy Oswald of Notts County did score a late consolation goal but Blackburn finished comfortable 3-1 winners and won the FA Cup for the 5th time in 8 years.
Dewar left Blackburn Rovers in 1896. In the seven years at the club Dewar scored seven goals in 174 games. Dewar also played for New Brighton Tower and Southampton before retiring from football.
George Dewar died on 2nd September, 1915.
The Rovers were overwhelming favourites to lift the trophy as all of their team, bar Jimmy Southworth and Jack Horne, were of international status. Jack Southworth, Jack Barton, Jimmy Forrest, Joe Lofthouse, Billy Townley and Nat Walton were all English internationals, while John Forbes, Geordie Dewar and Henry Campbell had represented Scotland.
The rovers looked immaculate when they took to the field, being attired in white dress shirts that had been hastily acquired from a London outfitters once it was realised that Sheffield would be turning out in blue jerseys. Prior to the match a representative of the Blackburn Times spoke to someone who had been in the dressing room area and he had reported that while the Rovers players were singing and laughing the men from Sheffield were fraught with nerves. He predicted an easy victory for the Rovers and so it turned out. Billy Townley was undoubtedly the star of the show and he became the first man to score a hat-trick in the FA Cup Final as the Rovers romped to a 6-1 win.
It was generally agreed that Blackburn had a little too much FA Cup experience for Wednesday, for whom Morley, Brayshaw, Mumford and Bennett performed splendidly. However, the Blackburn side had given one of the finest exhibitions of attacking football in an FA Cup Final, with England internationals, Walton, Townley, Lofthouse and John Southworth at the peak of their form.
Dewar History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The people known in ancient Scotland as the Picts were the forefathers of the Dewar family. It is a name for a pilgrim from the Gaelic word deoradh. The deoradh kept the relics of saints. The family have been the hereditary custodians of St. Fillan's Crozier. 
Set of 4 Coffee Mugs and Keychains
Early Origins of the Dewar family
The surname Dewar was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland. Dewarton is a village, in the parish of Borthwick, county of Edinburgh. It is here that the Dewar family have held the estate of Vogrie since early times. 
Coat of Arms and Surname History Package
Early History of the Dewar family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dewar research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Dewar History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Unisex Coat of Arms Hooded Sweatshirt
Dewar Spelling Variations
When the first dictionaries were invented in the last few hundred years, spelling gradually became standardized. Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound. Names were often recorded under different spelling variations every time they were written. Dewar has been written Dewar, Dure, Dewyer, Dewer, McIndeor, McJarrow and many more.
Early Notables of the Dewar family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dewar Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dewar migration +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dewar Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
Dewar Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Dewar, aged 60, who landed in New York, NY in 1803 
- Thomas Dewar, aged 55, who landed in New York, NY in 1803 
- John Dewar, who arrived in New York in 1823
- Robert Dewar, who arrived in Maryland in 1844 
- John Dewar, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
- . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Dewar migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dewar Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter Dewar, aged 23, a labourer, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick aboard the ship "Favourite" in 1815
- David Dewar, who landed in Canada in 1841
Dewar migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia followed the First Fleets of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Dewar Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- David Dewar, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Princess Royal" in 1848 
- Margaret Dewar, aged 19, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Magdalena" 
- Eliza Dewar, aged 21, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Magdalena" 
- Margaret Dewar, aged 48, a housekeeper, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Magdalena" 
- Mary Dewar, aged 22, a domestic servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "North"
Dewar migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Dewar Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Dewar, aged 18, a domestic servant, who arrived in Nelson, New Zealand aboard the ship "Prince of Wales" in 1842
- Janet Dewar, aged 27, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Seringapatam" in 1856
- Mr. J. Dewar, Sr., British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Palmyra" arriving in Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 19th February 1858 
- Mrs. Dewar, British settler travelling from London with 4 children aboard the ship "Palmyra" arriving in Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 19th February 1858 
- Mr. J. Dewar, Jr., British settler travelling from London with 4 children aboard the ship "Palmyra" arriving in Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 19th February 1858 
- . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dewar (post 1700) +
- Struan Douglas Dewar (b. 1989), Scottish rugby union player
- George "Geordie" Dewar (1867-1915), Scottish footballer
- Lord Arthur Dewar (1860-1917), Scottish politician and judge, Solicitor General for Scotland (1909)
- Neil Hamilton Dewar (1908-1982), Scottish footballer
- John Dewar (1805-1880), Scottish businessman who founded John Dewar & Sons, Scotch whisky distillery in 1846
- Donald Campbell Dewar (1937-2000), Scottish politician, 1st First Minister of Scotland (1999-2000)
- Sir James Dewar (1842-1923), Scottish-born chemist and physicist who studied the liquefaction of gases and the properties of matter at very low temperatures and invented cordite (1889) with Sir Frederick Abel
- Dr. Richard Ian Dewar M.B.E., British Consultant Physician for Cwm Taf University Health Board, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 8th June 2018, for services to the NHS, particularly Stroke Patients 
- Robert Berriedale Keith Dewar (1945-2015), American computer scientist, founder, CEO and president of AdaCore software company
- George Forbes Dewar (b. 1865), Canadian physician and politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island from 1911 to 1915
- . (Another 12 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
The Dewar Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Quid non pro patria
Motto Translation: What would not one do for his country.
Deoradh resignatio in favorem
Today, two relics, the Crozier and the Bell associated with our reclusive Celtic priest, are proudly and prominently displayed in the new National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. The Stone remains in private ownership but the whereabouts of others are less certain. There is no doubt the symbolic importance of the Crozier, the Bell, the Stone along with other relics and their hereditary keepers, the ‘deoradhs’, has not been altogether lost in the passage of time. Historians and researchers in many countries, continue to examine the role of these ‘deoradhs’ and determine the influence if any, on the perceptions and actions of Crown and Church, by the peoples of these Breadalbane lands.
It is regrettable that in the past, a number of unsubstantiated claims have been made by other ‘Dewar’ families and their descendants, associating themselves with the custodianship of the Saint Fillan’s relics. Some of these claims have even gained recognition and Grants of Arms - but there is no established connection between these families and the Dewars recognised as ‘deoradh resignatio in favorem’ (hereditary keepers) since before the reign of William I to this date. (Source: Book of Dewar)
George Dewar - History
It is with great sadness that we learned of the passing of club legend and record post war goalscorer George Dewar this morning after a short illness.
Having attended Aberhill Primary School, next door to Bayview Park it was George’s boyhood ambition to play in the black and gold. He turned out for East Fife reserves at Tynecastle in 1958, following spells with Leslie Hearts, Methilhill Strollers and Wellsgreen Athletic but after facing a Hearts team which included Willie Bauld, Alfie Conn and John Cumming he was advised to “get a pair of spikes and speed up”.
Two years he was invited back to Bayview by Charlie McCaig, and put pen to paper in November 1960.
Five months after signing the 23 year old made his first team debut at home to Stirling Albion. Dewar wore the number seven shirt in a game that ended in a 1-0 defeat and retained his place in the side for the remainder of the season, opening his scoring account two weeks later, finding the net twice in a 4-2 defeat of Forfar Athletic at Bayview. The youngster’s performances offered a ray of hope for the supporters who had witnessed a calamitous fall in the club’s standing in Scottish football in recent years.
1961-62 started with a bang as the Fifers won all six of the League Cup sectional ties with Dewar hitting four goals in an 8-2 win at Brechin, following this up with a hat trick at home to Arbroath four days later in a 6-0 success. A quarter final tie with Rangers was earned after Albion Rovers were seen off in the supplementary round. Although both legs against the Ibrox side ended in a 3-1 defeat Dewar’s performances had caught the eye, scoring in each game. Despite being unable to reproduce their cup form in the league, the Methil men did manage a mid-table Division Two finish, an improvement on the previous two campaigns. Dewar finished top scorer with 31 goals having forged a productive partnership with fellow striker Ian Stewart and goalkeeper-come-striker George Yardley.
Dewar continued to hit the target regularly the following season, finding the net on 24 occasions, including four goals in a 5-0 Scottish Cup win over Edinburgh University but the continued lack of league success saw Charlie McCaig replaced as manager by Jimmy Bonthrone in April 1963. Bonthrone made an immediate impact, with East Fife reaching the quarter finals of the League Cup, once again being paired with Rangers. It was a much closer affair this time around with Dewar’s second half equaliser earning a 1-1 first leg draw in front of a 14,000 Bayview crowd. A 2-0 defeat followed at Ibrox but perhaps more importantly, performances in the league were showing marked signs of improvement, notably a 3-1 home win against eventual runaway champions Morton. Dewar notched the second goal in a victory that brought the Greenock side’s record breaking 23 successive wins to an end. Fourth position was achieved at the end of a season with ever present Dewar finishing top scorer on 34 goals.
From a league perspective 1964-65 was disappointing but the 9th place was compensated by another quarter final appearance in the League Cup and a remarkable 2-0 first leg defeat of Celtic at Bayview. Unfortunately a defensive collapse at Parkhead resulted in a 6-0 reverse and no place in the semi final for the men from Methil. In the Scottish Cup East Fife created another upset after holding Aberdeen to a goalless draw at Pittodrie. A 27th minute goal from Dewar was enough to see off the Dons in the replay. Kilmarnock, the side that would go on to lift the First Division championship that season, were just too good for the Fifers in the next round although it took another replay before the Ayrshire team progressed with a 3-0 win at Rugby Park.
The following two seasons saw the Fifers finish six points short of a promotion place. For the fifth successive year Dewar finished top goalscorer in 1965-66 but the next campaign found him on the sidelines through a knee injury requiring an operation in December 1966, causing him to miss out on another Scottish Cup shock, a 1-0 success away to Motherwell. Manager Bonthrone continued to bring in fresh blood in his efforts to return to top flight football, signing the experienced Bobby Waddell in addition to youngsters Bertie Miller, Walter Borthwick, Peter McQuade, Dave Clarke and Dave Gorman. A third place finish was achieved in 1967-68, four points behind runners up Arbroath, with top scorer Dewar also receiving the accolade of club player of the year. The goal of promotion continued to elude East Fife in the following campaign, again missing out by one place in Jimmy Bonthrone’s last season in charge, Bill Baxter taking over the reigns after Bonthrone’s appointment as coach at Aberdeen in April 1969. For a club record seventh time Dewar ended the year as top scorer.
1969-70 was to be Dewar’s farewell season at Bayview Park as a player. He found the target for the last time in November 1969 at East Stirlingshire and played his part in a thrilling Scottish Cup run which saw Raith Rovers and Morton being knocked out before losing narrowly Dundee in the quarter final. His final appearance wearing the black and gold was away to Brechin City in April 1970. After 334 starting appearances and a post war record 193 goals for the club, Dewar elected to hang up his boots and was awarded a testimonial match against Stoke City in November 1970 which attracted a 6,000 crowd.
George Dewar had two spells as coach with East Fife, assisting Pat Quinn in bringing top division football to Methil after a 13 year absence in 1971, and working with Dave Clarke in 1978-79. A successful businessman, he continued to retain strong links with the club, and in 2008 was voted into the pre-1970’s All-Time Greats team.
Former teammates Peter McQuade and Bertie Miller on learning of George’s passing wanted to add their own personal tribute.
"As young players we both found George to be a great team mate and first team coach. He was one of the senior players, but always took the time to advise us about what was required to make it as a professional footballer. He lead by example. On the coaching front he kept it simple, and was very big on the need for the best physical conditioning. A quiet but very assertive man."
East Fife Football Club would like to extend our sincere condolences to George's family and friends at this difficult time.
Dewar’s: a brand history
Dewar’s, or ‘Doo-ers’ as they say in America, was built by the most flamboyant whisky tycoon of them all. Tommy Dewar may have died in 1930 but his spirit lives on. The Spirits Business traces its fascinating story.
*This feature was initially published in the October 2017 issue of The Spirits Business magazine
In April 1998, Bacardi entered the big league of Scotch after buying Dewar’s and four malt whisky distilleries – as well as two gin brands. Despite the US$1.94 billion cash transaction, the news was blown off the front page in Britain by BMW’s successful bid for a motoring icon for just a third of the amount. “How could RollsRoyce be worth less than a moderately well-known whisky?” spluttered the FT. In the US there’s nothing ‘moderately well-known’ about Dewar’s White Label, which accounted for an estimated US$1.4bn of the total. It “was then, and still is, the number-one Scotch whisky by label in the US”, says Michael Calabrese, Bacardi’s North America brand director for whisky and Tequila. Johnnie Walker may be a bigger brand in the States, but it seems White Label remains the country’s favourite single bottle of Scotch.
John Dewar Snr died in 1880, leaving his licensed grocer’s shop in Perth, Scotland, to his two sons – John Alexander and Tommy Dewar. Within 20 years they had transformed a prosperous local business into a Scotch whisky powerhouse with a production capacity of 1m gallons, two distilleries and a burgeoning export trade. John handled the business in Scotland while his younger brother was the irrepressible frontman down south.
The tenacious Tommy Dewar could have inspired J.M. Barrie’s famous quote about there being “few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make”. He slipped into London as a 21-year-old in 1885, armed with two sales leads, one of whom proved bankrupt and the other dead. Within a couple of decades he had befriended the future Edward VII, owned Britain’s third motor car, was fabulously rich and destined for the House of Lords – all thanks to building Dewar’s White Label through relentless advertising.
Tommy Dewar was a master of this new black art, and among his many ‘Dewarisms’ was the doctrine: “Keep advertising and advertising will keep you.” In 1898, he commissioned possibly the first filmed commercial, certainly for spirits, which was projected from the roof of Manhattan’s Pepper Building. It featured four actors in kilts dancing a drunken Highland fling under a banner for Dewar’s. Subtle it wasn’t, but New Yorkers were amazed. Fifteen years later, Londoners gawped at a giant illuminated Scotsman by Waterloo Bridge, whose kilt appeared to sway as his hand repeatedly raised a glass of Dewar’s.
TOURING THE GLOBE
In print, Dewar’s was promoted by establishment figures in white tie to drive home the message that Scotch was thoroughly pukka and not some hairy-arsed spirit from the Highlands. Meanwhile, Dewar cultivated foreign markets by touring the globe on an Ocean liner. The first trip in 1892 lasted two years and resulted in agents in 26 countries. Its cost of more than £500,000 (US$650,000) in today’s money was soon forgotten as orders began to pour in.
John Dewar & Sons was absorbed into The Distillers Company (DCL) in 1925, but nothing much changed. It remained a separate fiefdom within DCL and was free to compete with its stablemates. In 1980 it replaced J&B as the top Scotch in America, and in six years was claiming a US market share of 15%, yet there were no real efforts to create a premium tier. If fans of ‘Dooers’ wanted to trade up they were cordially invited to drink Johnnie Walker Black, Blue or Gold.
Bacardi pounced on a golden opportunity when the newly formed Diageo was compelled by competition rules to sell Dewar’s White Label in the ‘90s. “There was a tonne of potential to grow into the premium and ultra-premium segments, and that’s what we’ve done,” says Calabrese. “We’ve launched Dewar’s 12, 15 and 18 Year Old.”
The blending room in the 1920s
The 12 Year Old bagged Sean Connery for its 2003 ‘some age, others mature’ campaign. The actor was possibly atoning for those Bond movies that pushed vodka at the expense of Scotch, or maybe it was just the fee – reputedly a million dollars for a day’s filming. Either way, Dewar’s has managed to push its way upward and in the US, White Label’s brand share is now “about 85%90%”, says Calabrese.
In 2007, when Calabrese started work at Dewar’s, core consumers “tended to be older white males with their goto Scotch, which tended to be White Label”, he says. “Flip that to 2017 and you see a huge brown-spirits resurgence and millennial consumers looking for brands with heritage and stories, and more so in the Scotch category.” Tommy Dewar stars in a treasure-trove of stories and there’s now a £2m shrine to him at the Aberfeldy distillery. But does he really resonate with modern consumers? “It’s not so much that,” retorts Calabrese. “It’s about bringing his point of view to life.”
In 2013 there was a contentious flirtation with flavoured whisky, with the launch of Dewar’s Highlander Honey, but that has been quietly dropped, as has the disparaged Drinking Man campaign of 2012.
Today it’s all about experiential marketing, with the Travelling Whisky Emporium and the Scotch Egg Club, where millennials are introduced to premium expressions and cocktails. They are also reminded that “Dewar’s 12 is the gift to give”.
When its previous owners sold it in 1998, there may have been feeling that Dewar’s glory days were over. If so, Ian Taylor, the global brand director for malts at Bacardi, has news for Diageo.
“According to recent reports from IWSR, Dewar’s is the fastest-growing blended Scotch in the world,” he says, quoting an 11.8% rise in its premium sales in 2016. “We are launching our premium blends into seed markets and it is these new markets that are fuelling the growth of Dewar’s premium.” Tommy Dewar would be proud.
Click through the following pages to see the timeline of Dewar’s brand history.
The invention of the Dewar
It took James Dewar, a professor of chemistry at the Royal Institution in London, 15 years to develop the first iteration of the Dewar, a silvered, double-walled, glass vacuum container that was able to store cryogens with little evaporation. He began his quest to understand how to achieve efficient thermal insulation and to discern the properties of fluids needed for producing low temperatures in 1877. He finally completed his invention of the Dewar in 1892, after discovering that he could achieve greater insulation using vacuum space powders, like charcoal, lamp black, silica, alumina, and bismuth oxide, along with a silvered surface instead of aluminum sheets. The Dewar quickly became the leading method of storing cryogenic liquids, with no changes to its initial design for over 60 years.
Esseborne (xi cent.) Hesseburna, Esseburna regis (xii cent.) Husseburn, Huphusseburn, Hussheburn (xiii cent.) Husseburne Tarrent (xiv cent.) Husband Tarrant, Uphusband (xviii cent.).
Hurstboume Tarrant, a large parish containing 4,841 acres, is situated about 4½ miles north-west from Hurstboume station on the main line of the London and South Western Railway. The village lies on the left bank of the Swift, which rises in the west of the parish, at the junction of the main road from Andover to Newbury with a road running from St. Mary Bourne to Vernhams Dean. It is on the lowest ground in the parish, the road from Andover dropping at Hurstbourne Hill from a height of 568 ft. above the ordnance datum to a height of 324 ft. on the left bank of the stream. When past the village it rises again, and at the summit of Doiley Hill in the north of the parish reaches a height of 526 ft. above the ordnance datum. In the west of the parish the ground is higher still, a height of 710 ft. being attained south of Sheep Down. St. Peter's Church stands on the outskirts of the village north of the road from St. Mary Bourne. Near it is the vicarage, and opposite it on the right bank of the stream are the schools, which were built in 1845 for 130 children.
The hamlet of Prosperous is about a mile north from the village along the road to Newbury. The hamlet of Ibthrope, with its substantial homesteads and half-timber cottages, is situated on the left bank of the stream along the road to Vernhams Dean, about three-quarters of a mile west from Hurstbourne Tarrant. Along the same road on the western borders of the parish is the hamlet of Upton, situated partly in Hurstbourne Tarrant and partly in Vernhams Dean. The schools here were built in 1872.
Doles, in the south of the parish, a house surrounded by woods and copses, is the residence of Mr. Albemarle Willoughby Dewar, the lord of the manor. Doiley Manor, in the north, is the residence of Messrs. Walter Allcroft and William Mulholland, farmers.
The area of the parish comprises 2,985¼ acres of arable land, 568½ acres of permanent grass and 1,054½ acres of woods and plantations. (fn. 1) The land is hilly but fertile and productive, and the soil, which is chalky, is well suited to the growth of wheat, barley, oats, turnips and sainfoin. Doles Wood and Grubbed Grounds were inclosed in 1820 under a Private Act of 1818.
Among place-names mentioned in early documents are the following:—Overdroveweys Copse (fn. 2) (xiv cent.), King's Longe Copyce, Pikadoles Copyce, Fairelynch Copyce and Hilgrove Copyce (fn. 3) (xvi cent.), and Netherblackden Copyce and Beareridge Copyce (fn. 4) (xvii cent.).
At the time of the Domesday Survey HURSTBOURNE was part of the ancient demesne, and was therefore not assessed, the three manors of Hurstbourne, Basingstoke and Kingsclere being jointly liable for the service of one knight. (fn. 5) The manor (fn. 6) remained with the Crown for a considerable period (Hamon Boterel being the farmer from 1156 to 1166), and Henry II seems to have had a royal residence in the parish, for there are various entries in the Pipe Rolls of sums disbursed for work on the king's houses in Hurstbourne. (fn. 7)
At length Henry II, in 1177, granted the manor to William Malveisin. (fn. 8) William Malveisin's widow received £24 2s. from Hurstbourne in 1185, (fn. 9) but thirteen years later Richard I granted the manor to John de Lyons, a citizen of Lyons, to hold to him and his heirs by the service of half a knight's fee. (fn. 10) King John confirmed this grant in 1201, (fn. 11) but soon afterwards he seems to have resumed possession of the manor, possibly on the death of John de Lyons, for in 1205 William Scales paid 10 marks fine to have the vill of Hurstbourne, (fn. 12) and a year later Engelard de Cygony, Andrew de Chancels, Geon de Chancels and Peter de Chancels, companions of Gerard de Attoyes, obtained a grant of the manor to hold during the king's pleasure for their support in his service. (fn. 13) Henry III, however, restored the manor to John de Lyons, probably a son of the original grantee, in 1233, (fn. 14) and a little later the same man, by the name of John 'de Leonibus,' is returned as holding Hurstbourne, valued at £24, of the gift of King Richard. (fn. 15) On the death of John de Lyons the younger the manor passed to his daughter and heir Joan, the wife of Geoffrey de Carelieu, whose grant to Pontius Blanchard, another citizen of Lyons, was confirmed by Henry III in 1255. (fn. 16) Pontius, however, only held the manor for a short time, (fn. 17) for in 1266 Henry III granted it in free alms to Tarrant Nunnery (co. Dors.), a house to which Queen Eleanor was so great a benefactress that it was sometimes styled in records 'Locus benedictus reginae' or 'Locus reginae super Tarent.' (fn. 18) It is to its connexion with this nunnery that the manor which had hitherto been called KING'S HURSTBOURNE, HURSTBOURNE REGIS or UP HURSTBOURNE, owes its name of HURSTBOURNE TARRANT. Entries relating to the manor in subsequent Close and Patent Rolls show clearly the favour in which the nunnery continued to be held by the Crown. Thus, in 1292, Edward I, to enable the abbess to satisfy her creditors, granted her licence to sell forty oaks in her wood of Hurstbourne within the bounds of the forest of Finkley. (fn. 19) Again in 1302 she was permitted to sell 40 acres of her wood of Hurstbourne in the forest of Chute, since it was ascertained by inquisition that there was no frequent repair of deer there. (fn. 20) Further, in 1343, on the petition of the abbess and convent setting forth that their houses and possessions in Dorset had been burned and destroyed by an invasion of the king's enemies in those parts, licence was granted them to cut down and make their profit of 200 acres, at the rate of 20 acres yearly, of underwood in their demesne wood of Hurstbourne in the forest of Chute by the view of the foresters, and when this had been done to inclose the wood after the assize of the forest. (fn. 21) The manor remained in the hands of the abbess and convent until the Dissolution, (fn. 22) when it became Crown property, (fn. 23) and so continued until 1547, in which year Edward VI granted it, at a reserved rent of £6, together with King's Long Coppice, Pikadoles Coppice, Fairelynch Coppice and Hillgrove Coppice within the forest of Chute and the manors of Chitterne (co. Wilts.) and Bramshill (co. Hants) to William Paulet Lord St. John, afterwards first Marquess of Winchester, and his heirs for the maintenance of the fortifications and a garrison of nine men at Netley Castle. (fn. 24) The manor continued in the possession of successive Marquesses of Winchester until 1630, (fn. 25) when, on the death of the fourth marquess, it passed to his fourth but third surviving son, Lord Charles Paulet, in accordance with a settlement of 1609. (fn. 26) Charles, son and heir of the latter, mortgaged it in 1664 for £2,600 to Edmund Ludlow, senior, of Kingston Deverill (co. Wilts.), but was unable to keep up the payment of the interest. (fn. 27) Consequently, Edmund foreclosed, and at his death in 1666 (fn. 28) was seised of the manor. His heir was his nephew, Edmund Ludlow the younger, the notorious regicide, who was the eldest son of his brother Sir Henry Ludlow, of Maiden Bradley (co. Wilts.), and who, as one of the judges of King Charles I, was attainted of treason at the Restoration. (fn. 29) The manor consequently escheated to Charles II, who in 1669 granted it to Edward Boswell and Nathaniel Ludlow, a younger brother of Edmund, at a reserved rent of £3. (fn. 30) It seems, however, to have been subsequently restored to the Paulet family, for Sir John Huband of Ipsley (co. Warw.), bart., was seised of it at the beginning of the 18th century, (fn. 31) having probably inherited it from his mother Jane, the daughter of Lord Charles Paulet. (fn. 32) Sir John was succeeded by his son and heir John, who died a minor and unmarried in 1730, when the baronetcy became extinct, and his possessions were divided among his three sisters and co-heirs Rhoda, Mary and Jane, (fn. 33) the first-named of whom married first Sir Thomas Delves of Dodington (co. Ches.), and secondly John Cotes. (fn. 34) In 1738 Jane Huband sold her part of the manor and 'the thirteen copses called Dowles' in the parishes of Hurstbourne Tarrant and Andover for £2,500 to James Wright of Warwick, (fn. 35) who subsequently purchased also the share of the other sister Rhoda. (fn. 36) From James Wright these two portions of the manor passed to his son and heir James Wright of Berkeley Square, who dealt with them in 1754 and again in 1765. (fn. 37) He subsequently purchased the remaining third and sold the whole manor to Joseph Portal of Freefolk and John Mount. (fn. 38) From the latter Hurstbourne Tarrant passed by sale in May 1782 to George Dewar, a wealthy West Indian planter of Scotch extraction, (fn. 39) who died in 1786, aged seventy-eight. (fn. 40) By his will dated 1785 he left all his manors and real estate in England, St. Christopher, Dominica and elsewhere to his younger son David Dewar, leaving only certain annuities to his eldest son John Dewar, who 'had by a continued series of imprudence and extravagance involved himself hopelessly in difficulties.' (fn. 41) The manor has remained in the Dewar family ever since, (fn. 42) Mr. Albemarle Willoughby Dewar, great-grandson of David Dewar, being the present lord of Hurstbourne Tarrant.
In 1280 the Abbess of Tarrant claimed pillory, tumbril and other liberties within the manor. (fn. 43)
The forest of Chute formerly lay in Wiltshire and Hampshire, the Hampshire portion extending to Hurstbourne Tarrant and including the woods of Doiley and Dowles (or Doles). Doiley was written Digerle or Derhile in the 13th century, and there are many references to it in early documents. (fn. 44) Its site is marked at the present day by Doiley Barn, Doiley Cottages, Doiley Hill, Doiley Wood and Doiley Manor in the north-east of the parish. Doles Wood lay partly in the parish of Hurstbourne Tarrant and partly in that of Andover, and in the reign of James I William fourth Marquess of Winchester engaged in a dispute with Andrew Kingsmill, tenant and farmer of King's Enham, as to his right to The Raggs ox Raggs Coppice, Blackden Bryle or Blackden Raggs, Doles Heath or Charlton Heath, and King's Enham Heath and other copses and wastes. (fn. 45) According to the defendant Preston and Weste, tenants of the marquess, ' desiring to bathe themselves in the teares of many poore people,' had inclosed a certain parcel of The Raggs called Enham Raggs, which was in reality parcel of Enham Heath and in the parish of Andover, and had always been separated from the marquess's copses by 'bounders and standills.' On the other hand the marquess declared that Kingsmill was attempting to deny his right under a 'shiftinge shadowe of wordes,' and asserted that the copses and wastes in question were really parcel of the bailiwick of Doles and, therefore, part of his inheritance. (fn. 46) Depositions on both sides were taken at Andover 23 April 1612, when most of the witnesses seemed to be in favour of Kingsmill, (fn. 47) but the marquess had already predisposed James I in his fatour, as is shown by the fact that in the previous year the king by letters patent had more clearly defined his property in the neighbourhood, granting to him a number of copses and wastes—the coppices called Netherblackden, Stoney, Fairocke, Beareridge, Lodge, Pounde, Ladylonge, Netherthrowayes and Upperthrowayes, Upperblackden, Ridgewayes, Chilwayes, and Knolles Coppice, The Raggs, Blackden Raggs, Newmans Ryding, Doles Heath or Charleton Heath, and King's Enham Heath, Cow Down, Rushmer Down, Southdown and Brockhill—of which there is no mention by name in the patent roll of the reign of Edward VI. (fn. 48) Doiley and Doles still formed part of the manor in the reign of Charles II, Charles Paulet petitioning for leave to disafforest them in June 1662, on the ground that these lands were burdened with great debts incurred by his father and himself for loyalty and with provision for his mother, three brothers and one sister. (fn. 49) Three months later they were disafforested and the deer in them were granted to Charles Paulet in consideration of the services and sufferings of his father. (fn. 50) Thirteen copses of wood called Doles, containing 700 acres, are included in subsequent extents of the manor, (fn. 51) and the old forest-name is still preserved in Doles Wood and Doles, the residence of Mr. Albemarle Willoughby Dewar. The fourth Marquess of Winchester, in addition to the dispute with Kingsmill, engaged in a controversy with divers inhabitants of the hamlet of Ibthrope. The latter asserted 'that they were freeholders and that all the grounds and soil of the village, as well that which was held in severalty as that which lay in open field and common, was always accounted and used as the freehold and inheritance of these tenants, and that the plaintiff and his ancestors had no part of the freehold or inheritance thereof,' and admitted that they had already with mutual consent divided and inclosed some of the common lands and were in the habit of cutting down trees and digging marl-pits in the downs of Ibthrope. The marquess, on the other hand, declared that they were only tenants at will and that the common downs, heath and commons called The Common Downs, Common Heath, Rushmer Down or North Down, South Down and Ambley were his proper freehold inheritance, as he could prove by copies of old court rolls, and that in bygone times his tenants had been amerced for felling trees and inclosing the common fields. He moreover accused them of appropriating to their own use 200 marks, 'the property of one Marvyn, who had hanged himself at Whitchurch.' (fn. 52) Depositions of witnesses were taken at Basingstoke in April 1610, most of them agreeing that when the sheep of the farmers of Hurstbourne Tarrant fed upon the downs of Ibthrope they were chased away by the tenants and inhabitants of Ibthrope and vice versa, and that there were boundary-marks between the demesnes of the manor and the hamlet. (fn. 53) In 1611 the Court of Exchequer recommended that the parties should come to some agreement amongst themselves. (fn. 54) The marquess, whose position was already assured by the patent roll of the preceding April, (fn. 55) was theoretically the victor, as is shown by the fact that the manors of IBTHROPE and UPTON are mentioned by name in the grant of the Hurstbourne property to Boswell and Ludlow in the reign of Charles II, (fn. 56) but Ibthrope still retains some trace of its old independence, the owners and occupiers of the hamlet having sole right to take for their own use but not for sale everything growing on Ibthrope Common, which covers an area of 59 acres.
By the manor of Upton, only that part of the hamlet situated in the parish of Hurstbourne Tarrant seems to have been intended, for the part situated in the parish of Vernhams Dean was included in the grant of the manor of Vernhams Dean to Henry de Bernevall in the reign of Henry II, and its subsequent history is given under the latter parish (q.v. infra).
The church of ST. PETER consists of a chancel 34 ft. by 18 ft. 1 in., nave 58 ft. 8 in. by 17 ft. 6 in., north aisle 41 ft. 8 in. by 5 ft. 9 in., with a vestry at its west end 14 ft. 9 in. by 5 ft. 9 in., south aisle 52 ft. 2 in. by 6 ft. 7 in., with a south porch. At the west end of the nave is a wooden tower within the building. All these measurements are internal.
The history of the present building begins c. 1200, to which date belongs the nave as far westwards as the third bay of the arcade, with the aisles flanking it. The difference in detail between the two arcades shows that the north one is a little later than the south. The only trace of earlier work than this is the south doorway, which is of late 12th-century date. In the 14th century the church was lengthened westwards by one bay. In the north aisle the original west wall was allowed to remain and the extra bay was used to form a small chapel, but in the south aisle and nave the original west walls were removed. Other work of this century consisted of the insertion of most of the present windows to the aisles. The chancel was practically rebuilt, using the 13th-century windows again, about the year 1890, and the walls of the rest of the building were refaced at the same time. The mediaeval south porch was refaced in the 18th century and the tower was erected in 1897, partly of old timbers.
The east window of the chancel is of 15th-century date, having four cinquefoiled lights, under a low fourcentred arch. The rest of the chancel windows are of 13th-century date, three on each side, a single light between two of two lights. The heads of the lights are in all cases modern and of ogee shape, and the south-west window has had its tracery removed and two I 5th-century cinquefoiled lights substituted. The internal jambs have edge rolls dying into a chamfered rear arch.
Near the east end of the north wall is an aumbry with recessed jambs and segmental head, and traces of the fitting of a shelf, and in the same position on the south side is a piscina with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head. Between the first and second windows of the south wall is a modern doorway with plain chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The chancel arch is two-centred and of two stopchamfered orders built of chalk. The jambs are of Binstead stone, with square hollow-chamfered abaci, and both arch and jambs have diagonal tooling.
The north arcade of the nave is of three bays with circular columns, plainly moulded capitals with squareedged abaci, and bases which were probably moulded with a hollow between two rolls, now rubbed down to a single curve. The arches have two chamfered orders and are two-centred with a plain label on the nave side. The eastern respond is chamfered, and in it is a small trefoiled piscina with a shallow basin, the projecting part of which has been cut away. The corbel over this piscina which carries the inner order of the arch is in the form of an irregular octagon, and its mouldings are very similar to those of the capitals. In the west respond the orders of the arch are continued in the jamb with a plinth at the base which does not return on the sides of the wall, and a hollow chamfered abacus at the springing. All this work is claw-tooled and probably well into the 13 th century.
Plan of Hurstbourne Tarrant Church.
The entrance to the north-west chapel, which forms the fourth bay of the arcade, has chamfered jambs and double chamfered two-centred arch without corbels or abaci, with claw-tooled masonry, and seems of early 14th-century date. In the east respond is another piscina with stop-chamfered jambs, trefoiled head and shallow circular basin, the projecting part being chamfered.
The first three bays of the south arcade are very similar to those of the north, the only differences being that the columns are a little larger, the bases have three roll mouldings, and the capitals are of an earlier type. The eastern respond is also similar, but the corbel at the springing is composed of mouldings supported by a carved head surmounted by foliage of good early 13th-century type. The tooling is all vertical, and the masonry of the arches is of a light brown stone, irregularly banded with chalk. The fourth bay of the arcade is of two edge-chamfered orders continuing the section of the jambs, with a hollow chamfered square-edged abacus at the springing. It has a label of the same section as the south arcade, and looks like early 13th-century work, re-used at the lengthening of the nave in the 14th century. Its width is not against the idea that it may have been in the west wall of the nave, but in that case a masonry tower must have existed or been intended early in the 13 th century, and of this there is no evidence.
Above the arcades the walls are thinner and evidently later additions the only clearstory windows are two of three lights with square heads, on the south side, of late date.
The walls of the north aisle were at first much lower, the line of the eaves and eastern slope being still visible outside they seem to have been raised to their present height when the vestry was added.
The east window of this aisle is a trefoiled lancet, and of the three north windows the eastern and western are original, and have two trefoiled lights. The middle window is larger and set higher in the wall, and has three ogee-headed lights of peculiar character with tracery of 14th-century style, which seems to be old. The fourth window in this wall, which lights the northwest vestry, is a single trefoiled lancet, the west jamb of which is a modern restoration it is higher than the original two-light windows east of it, and the wall here shows no sign of having been raised.
The east window of the south aisle is a single trefoiled light, which has been widened at some time, and has a modern head.
The first window in the south wall is of mid - 14th - century date, a very pretty piece of tracery, with three trefoiled lights and two cinquefoiled circles in the head, and a trefoiled semicircle over. The second window is of late 15th-century date, with three cinquefoiled lights under a square head. The third window belongs to the date of the 14th century lengthening, and the west window is a plain 13th-century lancet reinserted here at that time.
The south doorway, which is between the first and second windows of the aisle, has jambs of two orders with engaged shafts without bases, but having foliate capitals, and a pointed arch of two orders, the inner being continued from the jambs, while the outer is enriched with horizontal zigzag ornament, of late 1 2th-century type. The wall thins at the springing and the extrados of the arch is exposed there is no label, and the whole is evidently re-used material.
The west doorway is contemporary with the western extension of the nave and aisles, and has double chamfered jambs and a two-centred arch.
The wooden tower is in three stages with an octagonal spire, the whole being covered with oak shingles. The timbers supporting this tower spring from the floor at the west end of the nave, and the staircase to the belfry is also inside and is constructed entirely of wood.
All the walls of the church are of flint and stone, strengthened with modern brick buttresses at the ends of the south aisle and the north-west corner of the north aisle and with two stone buttresses partly old at the west end of the nave. The porch is wood, plastered over at a later date it is probably of the 15th century, and brought to its present condition about a century ago. It has a slated roof, while all the other roofs are leaded, and there are modern gable crosses on the chancel and nave.
The roof of the chancel is of modern woodwork of low pitch. That of the nave has heavy tie-beams and moulded ridge and purlins, and appears to be old it is of very flat pitch. The aisles have modern lean-to roofs.
The font is of 13th-century date and has a plain circular bowl resting on a stem which has attached round shafts at each angle and half-octagonal shafts on each face, each having a moulded base. It stands on a footpace paved with 14th-century tiles of various single and double patterns.
Many of the seats in the nave are of old woodwork, quite plain except for a moulded top, and the old baluster altar rails are also now in the nave. The octagonal pulpit is a rather hybrid structure, partly made of 17th-century woodwork, and the south door is old, with 18th-century panels on its outer face.
There are no monuments of any particular interest, the oldest being a marble slab on the north wall of the chancel to the Honourable Charles Paulet, eldest son of the Lord Charles Paulet, who died in 1677. Also to his wife Magdalene, who died in 1697, and their daughter Frances, 1694.
There are some remains of wall painting in the north aisle. On the north jamb of the east window is a diaper of red and white squares, the latter having a spot of red in the middle of each. Near the east end of the north wall and on the east jamb of the first window is a diaper of fleurs de lis, and between the first and second north windows is the fable of the three dead and the three living, very well drawn, and probably part of the original decoration of the aisle, a scrolled border above marking the height of the old wall. Between the second and third windows is a small piece of a circular panel which represented the seven deadly sins, the only two now distinguishable being luxury and drunkenness.
There are three bells in the tower, the treble being by O. Corr, 1725, the second by John Corr, 1740, and the tenor is dated 1654.
The plate consists of a silver chalice and salver (secular) of 1797 and 1775 a secular silver flagon of 1746 given by Mr. D. A. Dewar and a plated alms plate given by Mr. D. A. Bertie Dewar.
The registers are in three books, the first being a very good vellum specimen, containing entries of baptisms from 1546 to 1721, marriages from 1546 to 1687, and burials from the same date to 1722. The second book, also of vellum, contains baptisms and burials from 1723 to 1812, and marriages from 1724 to 1754. The third book continues the marriages on the usual printed forms up to 1813.
Hurstbourne Tarrant Church from the North-east
At the time of the Domesday Survey there was a church in the parish attached to the manor, which was held by Vitalis the priest together with half a hide of land, one plough, two bordars, 1 acre of meadow and ' circesset' or churchscot which was appraised at 14s. (fn. 57) The advowson went with the manor until the end of the 12 th century, when it was granted by Henry II to the church of St. Mary, Salisbury. (fn. 58) In spite of this gift, King John in March 1200 granted the church of Hurstbourne in free alms to his clerk Simon Pelagus for life, (fn. 59) but was forced a month or so later after an assize of novel disseisin to admit that the advowson belonged to the church of Salisbury. (fn. 60) However, Simon Pelagus continued to hold the living, as appears from an entry in the Testa de Nevill, (fn. 61) and in 1229, most probably on his death, Henry III presented Nicholas de Nevill, brother of the Bishop of Chichester, to the living 'vacant and in his gift.' (fn. 62) Three years later, however, the king was once more compelled to admit the right of the church of Salisbury. (fn. 63) The prebendary of Burbage, to whose prebend the advowson was attached, was in 1322–3 called upon to show reason why he had not resided at Hurstbourne Tarrant, but on appearing before the Bishop of Winchester licence of non-residence was given him since by reason of his prebend he was forced to reside in Salisbury, and had therefore appointed a perpetual vicar whose stipend was paid from the revenues of the church. (fn. 64) The vicars of Hurstbourne Tarrant continued to be appointed by the Canon of Salisbury and Prebendary of Hurstbourne Tarrant and Burbage until 1847, (fn. 65) when in the vacancy of the prebend the property of the prebend valued at £50 a year was taken over by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners (fn. 66) and the advowson fell to the Bishop of Salisbury, (fn. 67) who the next year transferred it to the Bishop of Winchester. (fn. 68) At the present day the living is a vicarage of the net yearly value of £217, with 12 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester.
The Congregational chapel was built in 1840 and has 200 sittings. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Dole Charities.—In 1706 Robert Mundy, by deed, at the request of his sister, Mary Mundy, gave 20s. a year for poor widows and widowers charged upon 4 acres of land near the village.
Luke Pearce, at a date unknown, but prior to 1753, gave 7s. 6d. a year, charged on land in Wildhearn in Andover, for the poor of Ibthrope in this parish. See also Richard Bunny's Charity below.
Charities for educational purposes:
Peter Dove by his will, dated in 1756, devised an annuity of £2 10s. charged on a malthouse and lands, known as Knights lands.
In 1756 William Jones, by deed, gave a rentcharge of £5 annually, charged on a farm in Ibthrope.
In 1775 Richard Bunny, by deed, gave £300 consols, the annual income to be applied in the relief of needy persons of the parish, and in placing out two children residing in that part of Upton which is within the parish to school.
In 1797 the Rev. Peter Debary, a former vicar, by his will directed the interest of a turnpike security of the value of £25 to be applied in the purchase of religious books or tracts for distribution amongst the parishioners.
Networking with Dewar Researchers
When it comes families and genealogy research, it's important to remember that different people may have different information: some may even have inherited one-of-a-kind family documents or photos, and the best way to connect with these family members is by posting a message board query -- often in the process of collaboration, you can build a more complete picture of your ancestor or ancestral family. The article "Are Your Queries Getting Results?" provides some valuable tips for posting successful Dewar queries.
You may also want to consider posting a query to the Community Message Boards at Genealogy Today to get assistance from other researchers on your most elusive Dewar ancestors.
George Dewar - History
The town of Dewar first began with a cluster of houses near No. 7 mine, and in 1907 Fred Darl laid out the streets of the town. The name of Dewar was used in honor of Sam Dewar, one of the officials of the M. 0. & G. Railroad.
Dewar School Founded
In 1906, a small building was moved to Dewar from Coal Creek for use as a school. A teacher was contracted to teach but became ill of pneumonia and died. As no other teachers were available, Mrs. Thomas Gower taught the first school term. In about 1908, a four room frame building was built for a school, burned down several years later, and was replaced in 1912 by a two-story brick structure. Another brick building was built in 1918 and served as high school until 1938 when the Hammond High School was built.
Post Office Established
About 1908, a fourth-class post office was instituted here with W. P. Harris as postmaster, and at about that same time, a freight depot and small frame passenger depot were built. In 1916, J. T. Dennis of Muskogee was contracted to build a brick depot, and simultaneously the post office was raised from fourth-class to third-class. This status was held until about 1931 when the depot was wrecked and the post office again became fourth-class.
Dewar's first church was built in 1912 on the present site of the United Pentecostal Church and was called the "Little Green Mission." In 1912, the old Presbyterian church was built but has been wrecked since. Mrs. Thomas Gower and Mrs. A. G. Hughey solicited the first $100 to build the old Baptist church in 1917, and at that time building was started on lots donated by the Oklahoma Coal Company. In 1937, the church was wrecked and a new Baptist church was built two blocks east of the old site on Broadway Street. The Methodist church was built in 1921.
In 1915, the City of Dewar was incorporated, and on October 5, 1915, the first city council met and filled appointive offices. John Fouler became chairman of the board with Ed Sadness as treasurer, and High Condors, as clerk. Appointees were Jack Curry, city marshal L. A. Williams, special city attorney Arthur Triffin, street commissioner and Sol Teague, sanitary commissioner.
By the end of 1915, the city of Dewar had its own gas plant and electric companies, and by February of 1916 had its own water works. At that time Dewar's population numbered well over 3,000. On March 1, 1918, the city purchased the present city hall, which was built in about 1916 by Clarence Evans.
Early Dewar Was 'Boom Town
(Information from a 1980 interview)
Dewar's two oldest senior citizens, Ora Lamb and Emma Dawson, can well remember the hey-days of the coal industry in and around the Dewar area. Ninety-one year old Ora Lamb came to Dewar from Muskogee in 1911 and went to work for Oklahoma Coal Company in the company store. Eighty-nine year old Emma Dawson came to Dewar from Paris, Texas, in 1914.
Ora Lamb’s Recollections
What was Dewar like in those early days? Says Mrs. Lamb, “Well, I tell you, the town was running over with houses, tents, and anything else people could find or put together to live in. We even had one elderly man that lived in Old Number 8 Mine. We had several doctors in Dewar, we had several two-story buildings and there were buildings on both sides of Main Street all the way down to the railroad tracks where the depot was. A block down, at the next crossing, was where the freight came in. From there the freight went on to Coalton, and then to Okmulgee.
At that time Henryetta had no hospital. When we had an injury at the mines, we had to put the man on the train and send him to Fort Smith. Dewar wasn't incorporated until 1915, but it was a coal industry. We had the whistles sounding from 15 or 16 mines--some were slope mines, some were shaft mines."
Coal mines and the coal industry go back about three generations for Ora Lamb. Her grandfather, Newton Wheeler from Ohio, was office manager for J. J. McAlester when he opened up McAlester. Her father, W. P. Kelley, was just eight years old at the time, and the year was about 1876.
When Ora was one month old, her family moved to Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City was just a tent and shanty town at that time. Says Ora, "We had a shanty at Seventh and Robinson. There's a big cathedral located there now." When Ora was nine years old, her family moved to a place near Krebbs, Oklahoma, and her father (who was now a civil engineer) worked in the coal mines at McAlester. The family had traveled to the location near Krebbs in a covered wagon. They lived out of the covered wagon and slept in it at night while Mr. Kelley built a log cabin. "At night, when we went to bed," says Ora, "he would tie the horses to the wagon wheels to keep horse thieves from taking them."
The family moved to Henryetta in 1905 and Mr. Kelley worked in the Coalton Mines. Each evening he would walk home with his pit clothes (mining clothes) on and wash at home. These were the days before the Union and before wash houses were installed at the mines.
In 1906, Ora finished school at Henryetta High School. There were only fourteen students in the whole high school. The teacher at the High School was named Goree. Mr. Goree later became the Superintendent of the Okmulgee County School system.
Also in 1906, Ora married a building contractor, Herbert Cross, and they moved to Muskogee. Cross, incidentally, built the old Severs Hotel in Okmulgee and at least one business building in Henryetta.
Ora's mother was a practical nurse in the old days and her younger sisters went into nurses training. Ora attended Draughn's Business College and, at one time, worked as a model for Gossard Corset Company…she was a "Perfect 36." She got her retail store training at Graham & Sikes in Muskogee.
Widowed in 1911, Ora moved to Dewar. Her father was working for Oklahoma Coal Company at Mine Number 6 and she had an opportunity to go to work at the company store. At the Company Store she was responsible for buying shoes, piece goods, notions and all soft goods. Caleb Underwood was the buyer for the grocery side of the store. On Sundays she had to ride horseback to Coalton to check the company store located there.
In 1911 there was no bank in Dewar, so Ora had to take the money and ride horseback to the bank in Henryetta. Smelter City did not yet exist, just a dusty trail to the dirt streets of Henryetta. Within the next two years a bank was established in Dewar.
In 1912 Ora met Mr. Lamb, who worked at the Number 6 Mine. Five years later Ora and Mr. Lamb were married. In 1911, Oklahoma Coal Company's company store sat across from where the scout house now stands. The pay offices were upstairs. In 1912, the company store was moved to where the Dewar Oddfellows Hall now stands.
Emma Dawson Remembers Early Days
Emma Dawson was born in Cooper, Texas, in the second smallest county in the state, Delta County. Her mother's folks were Mississippi farmers with slaves. When all the slaves were freed and settlement land opened up in East Texas, her grandfather and her uncles decided to settle in the new territory. They came to East Texas by covered wagon and by oxen team.
Emma went to school in Cooper and in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. The family moved to Paris, Texas, where she finished junior high. Her father, Albert Lee Bradbury, owned and operated a liquor store in Paris. At one time he sold out and moved to New Mexico, but in New Mexico there seemed to be a liquor store on every corner. So he moved back to Paris, Texas.
In Paris, Emma met and married Claude Dawson, a boy from the McAlester mining family. His folks wrote letters telling how all the mines were opening up, and it was good money and a great opportunity for work. Emma knew that mining was underground work so she didn't want to go. She held Claude off for about two and one­-half years while the letters kept coming in. Finally she agreed to make the move if Claude wouldn't work down in the mines. Said Claude, "There is plenty of work up on top." In 1914 they made their way to Dewar.
Emma Dawson was raised near three uncles who were preachers, all three of different faiths. She knew nothing about home-brew or chock, and certainly nothing about the rough ways of a booming coal mining town. Says Emma, "When I came to Dewar, I thought I'd gone into the back door of Hell: That's what the town seemed like to me.'
For two whole years Claude managed to keep Emma in the dark. All this time he had been working underground on the machine that cuts coal out of the vein while other miners scoop the coal into a bin to be carried up out of the earth. One day a neighbor came by the house and said, "Claude, did you pull my room today?" Suddenly Emma realized Claude had been working underground all this time.
Claude continued to work with the machine until one day an accident claimed one of his arms. He was compensated for the loss of his arm, but not before filing suit against the coal company.
A similar accident claimed a leg from Mr. Lamb. A new mine had opened up in Heavener. It was a rich vein and a sloping vein. He was taken to the closest hospital, Fort Smith, and then later transferred to Tulsa. Very shortly thereafter, this coal company filed bankruptcy and closed out. There was no compensation for the loss of his leg.
A wide variety of nationalities migrated to Dewar during the oil boom days. Many came to work in the mines, others came to set up retail stores. Mr. Khouri, an Asyrian, opened and operated Khouri Dry Goods. One day he left Emma in charge of the store while he sent back East to get his bride. She was 16, he was 32. The marriage had been arranged by his and her parents the day the bride was born. He brought his bride back and they were married in Dewar. Says Emma, "I think every Asyrian in the whole country was here for that wedding."
Ora Lamb and Emma Dawson can easily recall a wealth of almost lost history of this small community. Through it all, the section boss of the M. 0. & G. Railroad lived and raised his family in a small house down by the freight depot, and watched as "Boom Town" came and went. This community was his namesake, he was Sam Dewar.
Old Timer Left Rare Newspaper
Anna Mae Byrne may not be as old as many of Dewar's other senior citizens, but she has been around the area just about as many years as any else. Her mother, Mrs. Kate Berkey, was one of the oldest citizens. One of the many keepsakes she left to her children was a weathered old copy of the first edition of The Dewar Telegram, published Thursday, May 7, 1914.
Anna Mae Byrne was born in Strawn, Texas, October 9, 1906, to Joe and Katherine Berkey. Joe Berkey was a coal mining man. When the mines began to open up in Eastern Oklahoma in 1909, he moved to Warden Camp, Oklahoma, in Henryetta. Warden Camp consisted of a couple of rows of company houses that still stand just north of Henryetta's V. F. W.
Mrs. Byrne remembers little about Henryetta. Says Mrs. Byrne, "Mother had a buggy. When she would go to Henryetta, from Warden Camp, to buy groceries I can remember the wheels of the buggy sinking deep in the mud of Henryetta streets."
Some Early History
Dewar was established in early 1900 when the M. 0. & G. Railroad, connecting Muskogee and Henryetta, was built. A depot was built and the settlement was named Dewar, after the section boss, Sam Dewar. The town plat was surveyed and filed for record in the U. S. Clerk's office in Okmulgee, I. T., on February 28, 1907, at 2:00 p. m. Dewar Mine had already opened up in the northwest corner of the town plat. There was a big switch yard at the west out­skirts of Dewar, and a spur was built to the Dewar Mine, then to Coalton and on to Okmulgee.
In 1911, Joe Berkey moved his family to the prospering little community of Dewar. Anna Mae was five years old. According to Mrs. Byrne, "There really wasn't too much here. There was a wooden depot down by the railroad tracks, a few company houses, and a lot of tents where people lived. All the roads were dirt, and there was very little business area. The businesses came later as Dewar began to boom from the opening of new coal mines." Her father worked at the Wadsworth Mine.
In a short period of time, the businesses came to town. From the depot, the business buildings extended on both sides of the street for about three blocks. Says Mrs. Byrne, "Sam Fowler ran the Post Office and a grocery store down by the depot. We had an Airdome Theatre, an indoor theatre, a hardware store, a millinery shop, two drug stores, a bank (where the Senior Citizens building now stands), a newspaper, a bakery, a garage, a Coca-Cola Bottling Plant, several grocery stores, a photographer, and a funeral parlor which was run by John Boyle. The Funeral Parlor was owned by Mr. Buchanan and had a horse-drawn hearse. Buchanan later moved to Henryetta."
Dewar was incorporated in 1915 and was knee-deep in it's "coal boom" days: approximately 16 coal mines were being worked in the near vicinity. The prosperity of Dewar, at this time, can more easily be pictured by a review of the first issue of The Dewar Telegram, May 7, 1914.
From “The Dewar Telegram”
The first issue of The Dewar Telegram was an introductory industrial edition with business news compiled by a firm known as "The Dale Company.” Caleb M. Bales was secured to edit and publish the local publication. The motto of the newspaper was "He That Tooteth Not His Own Horn, the Same Shall Not Be Tooted The Telegram Toots for Dewar." In a lead story The Dewar Telegram reports:
"Of the number of important towns which bejeweled the broad and productive domain of Okmulgee County, none surpass in natural resources or in charm the fundamental elements and scenic beauty of Dewar, situated fifteen miles from the county seat and about fifty miles south of Tulsa on the M. 0. & G. Railroad bearing toward Muskogee and in the midst of what has and is developing into one of the greatest coal, oil and gas belts in the state.”
“Dewar is indeed, a thriving business point. Its townsite is a natural one on which nature has lavished her gifts unsparingly. It has magnificent location for building sites - the best in the world - and in view of what seems almost inexhaustible supplies coal, as well as natural gas, should become a manufacturing center. The kaleidoscopic view rests upon a landscape as fair as the vine clad hills of sunny Italy, while the balmy air, laden with electrical life, it is fitting to inspire one to all the deeds of the higher life. God in His wisdom wished to create a beautiful spot to meet the desires of nature, and He created Dewar.”
“The Telegram hopes at some future day to see Dewar a city of 50,000 people. Let the citizens take a new life and new vigor, then promises of the future present a rainbow hue and are worthy of a smile. Dewar, three years ago, was nothing more than a cow pasture today she has a population of over 2,000. There is a payroll in the coal mines alone here of upwards to $100,000 monthly, to say nothing of oil and gas. Dewar's mercantile element is the most thrifty and enterprising, gifted with the elements of spiritual welfare and realize the weight of public spirit.”
“There has been more buildings erected, both business and residence, in the last twelve months than in all the town's past history, and this has been of the substantial kind. The next twelve months promise an ever greater activity in this line than the past twelve. Our population should almost double again before a year rolls around.”
“Dewar is designated to take her place among the important cities of Eastern Oklahoma. Nature has surrounded her with greater resources than any of her neighbors. Aside from the coal, oil, and gas, we will show you rich agri­cultural areas, capable of producing the finest fruits, vegetables of all kinds, tame grasses, alfalfa, small grain, cotton and corn. The visitor can investigate vast bodies of shale and clay from which brick and sewer pipe, tile, etc., can be made. We have other resources as well when one sums them all up they begin to realize why Dewar is destined to be one of the big towns and one of the wealthy towns of the state.”
"Most towns are placing their trust to future greatness on just getting population - they say, "people make cities," while we have as the first article of our city making creed, "People with earning opportunities create advantages," we have mines already employing 1,000 men and we believe in getting factories and future developing our coal, oil, and gas fields, as well as bringing in farmers to raise the products our people need for sustenance, is the way to build a city and build it substantially."
“Dewar has as good a school as you will find most anywhere. In the Fall of 1912 they built a substantial two story structure containing four study rooms and a library. So rapid has been our growth in population that the coming summer almost a duplication of this same structure will erected, giving us three more class rooms and an auditorium. The growth of our school almost illustrates the town's growth two rooms were sufficient at the beginning of 1912, while this fall it will take the entire eight class rooms with eight instructors to pro­perly handle our educational work."
Dewar’s boom days came and went. In the 1930s and early 1940s, the coal mines were winding down, and production was cut at the oil and gas leases. Most of the businesses and buildings are gone, but the memories linger on.
Part of Newspaper Article
Just looking through the first edition of The Dewar Telegram one can easily visualize the activity of the booming little community. There were a total of 40 businesses featured in the special publication. Those listed were First State Bank, Brink & Reames Hardware and Fur­niture Oklahoma Coal Com­pany The Bijou Theatre Griffin's Transfer J. F. Brow n­ -- a painter, Dr. W. G. Brymer - physician J. V. Hutton Grocery Dewar Telephone Company, H. E. Courson-Jewelry, Dewar Drug Company owned by Mr. Drummond, Clem Lumber Company with C. T. Stiles as manager, R. D. Smith and O. F. Wilder - Barbers, C.O.D. Grocery owned by A. W. Lowe, Rio Motor Car Distributor - G. A. Richards, C. Gantt - Contractor and Builder, Dr. Coleman -physician, J. R. Sevall - insurance sales, Stephens Grocery - owned by C. C. Stephens and E. F. Stephens, Dr. W. C. Mitchell - physician, Bert's Barber Shop owned by Bert Thornsbrough, W. T. Sims, a blacksmith, Home Bakery operated by Mrs. M. F. McKeever, G. H. Cline -Jewelry, Dr. O. M. Fenton dentist C. H. Stevens - Con­tractor and Builder, Jackson & Son Livery, Dewar Popular Milliners owned by Mrs. H. E. Miller and Miss Ethel Davis, Pearson's Popular Pharmacy owned by F. M. Pearson Jr. S. M. Hufstedler and Company owned by J. T. Hufstedler and his brother S. M., Dewar Hotel operated by Mr. Frank James, B. F. Hicks - Contractor and Builder, Miner's Mercantile Company with C. V. Jones as manager, C. L. Rice-Baker, Stockton Restaurant with Mrs. A. J. Stockton operating, O. M. Sholl & Company Mercantile Store, James Clothing Company, I. E. Hofstedler - Post­master and Real Estate Dealer, Dewar Cash Grocery owned by M. Miracle and J. W. Fowler & Son General Merchandise Store. C. I. Clarion of Wetumka took all the photographs in the special edition and had ex­pressed an interest in moving to Dewar.
Dewar's Boom days came and went, in the late 1930's and early 1940's the coal mines and production was cut at the oil and gas leases, many of the business buildings are gone, but the memories linger on.
Says Anna Mae Byrne, "I remember when they tore down the old wooden Depot and rebuilt it in tile. Now it's all gone, there's nothing there
Coal Mining Was The Reason For City Of Dewar's Being